Thursday, October 25, 2007

I hope this doesn't come out wrong. No seriously, I do.

Well, it's been noted that some of my recent posts have been a little racy. So how about instead of racy, I go with racist?

No, not really, of course, even though some people will think that's what this is. So let me preface the rest of this by saying that I am not a racist. or a sexist. I believe everyone is equal in basic human dignity.

I do not, however, believe that everyone is the same. I think it's a good idea for men and women to use separate bathrooms. Separate but equal. ok, it makes sense here, unlike separating drinking fountains by race, because people expose themselves when they go to the bathroom, and we deserve a measure of sexual privacy. So separate the bathrooms.

Races are different physically; this is not up for debate. It is not racist to say that a black guy is black, or that a white guy is white. They are.

Black people tend to have more fast-twitch muscles than white people, which means a lot of the time, they can jump higher and run faster. Eskimos are fatter, on average; they have a layer of fat that acts like blubber insulation. It's not racist to say these things; they're just true. Mexicans and Asians tend to be shorter than black people and white people.

Now are there exceptions? Hell, yeah. Lots of them. But that doesn't mean the tendency isn't there.

Most NBA players are black-- a much higher percentage than in the rest of the population. Is that surprising?

No, you say, that's a cultural phenomenon. Black kids grow up playing basketball, white kids play baseball and soccer, so of course most NBA players will be black. Well, I don't think that account for the disparity, but OK, I’ll give it to you.

How about track? Track is as mixed a sport as you can find—and in some areas, dominated by white kids. But the best ones, the world class sprinters,… Green, Johnson, Gay, Montgomery, Lewis—they’re all black.

So black people can run faster—ok. So what? They have different genes; it makes sense.

So why is it impossible that intelligence might have trends across racial lines? Why is it impossible that white people might have a higher average intelligence than black people?

Are there exceptions? Hell, yeah. Lots of them. Look at Condoleeza Rice, Martin Luther King, Alan Keyes, Chinua Achebe, Paris Hilton and my dumbass cousin Kenny.

But then the guy who won the Nobel Prize for discovering the structure of the DNA molecule (I’d think he’s got a pretty decent grasp on genetics) gets suspended and run out of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in New York, for saying that he was “inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours — whereas all the testing says not really.”

Read the whole story here

The Mayor of London called it “racist propaganda.” And they threw his 79-year-old ass out on the street.

Look, I have no idea if white people are smarter than black people. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. But I don’t think we can say with certainty that it’s not true. And if the guy who invented the field says he thinks the evidence indicates a certain thing, I wouldn’t be the first one to crucify him.

So there it is. Is that racist? I don’t think so. People are different. We’re equal, yes, but we’re not the same. If we were all the same, damn, the world would be a boring place to live.

Enslaving people of a different race? That’s a horrible, damnable violation of their human dignity.

Genocide? Ditto.

Saying black people can jump higher than white people? Ok, as far as I can see.

Saying American Indians are genetically predisposed to alcoholism? Unfortunately true.

Saying white people tend to be smarter than black people? I don’t know, let’s see the evidence. But don’t call someone who says it a racist if we really don’t know.

2 comments:

Kay Pea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
crysOakleee said...

Racist is far more entertaining than racy, yes. Keep up the despicable posting, FortKnocks, you're showing promise.

And by the way, I did not miss the fact that I bore you. If I didn't have so many personalities warring within me, I might be able to be more consistently entertaining. In the meantime, I don't particularly care that you're bored and also I may have to punish you for insulting me. So watch it.